Task of an Elder
The task of our Elders can be summarised as follows
Meets every last Tuesday of the month at 19:00-19:30 as Cell Group and then for three hours maximum as Specialised Ministry Team, focusing on their task as governing body of the church.
Does duty during Worship Services as Duty Elder, as agreed and according to Word, Sacraments & Worship Ministry duty roster.
Visits (phone/sms/email) Cell Group Leaders in his district on a regular base in order to encourage, support, and pray for them.
Builds a working relationship with the Mercy ministry (and designated deacon, is available).
Take responsibility for
- the Cell Group Leaders residing in their districts, and via the Cell Leaders, also for the members of these Cell Groups
- the members residing within their districts, who are not yet members of Cell groups
- (not to be responsible for more than 7 Cell Group Leaders, plus 7 non-Cell Group members)
Refers Cell Leaders struggling with their Cell Groups, to relevant Pastor for help.
Refers Cell Leaders and members struggling with pastoral problems, to relevant Pastor for help.
Invites new and potential members to attend a New Members Orientation Session (Coffee & Dessert Evening), in cooperation with the New Members Ministry Leader, during which the Strategic Plan and Policy is explained to them.
Personally attend one Orientation Session for New Cell Leaders, in order to become familiar with the tasks and challenges of Cell Leaders.
Identify potential Cell Leaders within their districts (in cooperation with relevant Cell Leaders and Pastor) and invite them to attend an Orientation Session for New Cell Leaders.
Attend a Cell Leaders Workshop with all Cell Group Leaders, once every fourth month, from 9-12 on a Saturday morning. The aim of these events is to
- Fellowship and build a strong team of Cell Leaders.
- Share common problems and concerns as Cell Leaders.
- Encourage each other and share ideas that work for their Cell Groups.
- Pray together for their Cell Groups and for each other.
- See to it that Every new Cell Group leader in his district registers his/her group with the Pastor as official Cell Group of our church.
For more information, please see the goals of Session, Cell Groups and our Plan of Action in the Strategic Plan & Policy document, as well as the document on Elder's Districts