Chairperson: CRCA Church Planting Task Force
Rev. Brian Vaatstra
RE: APPLICATION FOR CHURCH PLANTING ASSISTANCE
In response to your answer to our initial application for church planting assistance, we hereby submit a second amended application for assistance. Thank you for being willing to reconsider our application.
On 17 June 2008, the Session of MCRC reaffirmed their decision made on 25/09/07, namely to intentionally work towards the numerical growth and multiplication of our cell groups, with the realistic possibility of the multiplication of our congregation as a whole. During this meeting, we also revised possible time frames and we reaffirmed our agreement to work for the realisation of the following goals (see Session member’s signatures below):
• To involve new Reformed Oriented Australian and Migrant Students, Young Working Adults and Families residing in South East Brisbane, in evangelism oriented Cell Groups.
• To facilitate need-oriented evangelism through which each member of these Cell Groups serves non-Christians with whom they have a personal relationship (focusing on their needs), to see to it that they hear the gospel, and to encourage contact with MCRC.
• To put the Growth Principle of Multiplication (reproduction through multiplication, which means that the true fruit of a disciple-maker is another disciple-maker, of a cell leader is another cell leader, of an evangelist is another evangelist, of a cell group is another cell group, and that of a congregation / church is another congregation / church), into practice.
Session also decided, after much prayer and discussion, to be even more intentional in our thinking, by adopting the following goal:
• To intentionally work towards the multiplication of the Mansfield congregation within 3 years (2011), establishing another congregation based on the same mission, values, growth principles and quality characteristics, within South East Brisbane.
As decided at a Session meeting, held on 30/10/07, Session moved into action by appointing two Home Missionaries (22.5 hours / week, each), with the sole responsibility to focus their efforts on the abovementioned goals. The positions were advertised in all CRCA churches. Rev. Gerhard Oberholzer and Br. KJ Tromp were successful applicants, and they were both appointed in these positions. They have resumed their tasks on 01/02/08. They have developed a list of potential Cell Group members and Leaders, residing within the target areas, since. They have started the process of reaching out to them (relationship building phase), and of training new Cell Leaders as an ongoing process.
We believe that these steps are bold and demonstrable steps in response to God’s calling to make disciples, baptize them and teach them (see our mission - Matthew 28:19).
The following financial arrangements were agreed upon, in order to implement the abovementioned goals, decisions and actions (detailed budget for at least three years):
• Home Missionary Team 1 (see addendum 1, pt. 2.3)
o Year 1: $ 26 878
o Year 2: $ 30 238
o Year 3: $ 33 597
• Home Missionary Team 2 (see pt. 2.3)
o Year 1: $ 28 404
o Year 2: $ 31 954
o Year 3: $ 35 504
We currently base our expenditures on a ‘bare bones’ budget. God has been true to His promise, namely to bless us with the necessary resources in order to faithfully respond to our risen Lord’s hearts desire (Matthew 28:19). The abovementioned outreach initiatives obviously place a heavy additional financial burden on MCRC. We believe that God will provide, and that financial assistance from the Church Planting Taskforce, will be a way in which God will provide. We therefore prayerfully ask you to consider assisting us as follows:
• Funding required for each year for at least three years
o Year 1: $ 55 282
o Year 2: $ 62 192
o Year 3: $ 69 101
We believe that it is worth mentioning that the work these two Home Missionaries will be doing in the South East Brisbane region, will benefit the CRCA in general, and not just MCRC. Many of the people they will be reaching out to, and of the cell groups they will establish, may (as experience taught us during the last 5 years), decide later on to join and worship with CRC congregations closer to their homes.
Yours in Christ
(Chair Person: Session MCRC)